Netherlands Worldwide

How can I register in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI)?

Language selection:English

If you move abroad and deregister from a Dutch municipality, your personal data will automatically be transferred to the Non-residents Records Database (RNI). In other cases you can register directly at an RNI municipality.

You can make an appointment at one of the 19 RNI municipalities in the Netherlands. At which RNI municipality you register at is up to you.

Attention: Please note: At the moment the waiting time at the RNI counters is longer than usual. Please bear this in mind.

Registering in person

You must appear in person at the RNI municipality where you have an appointment. If you want to register anyone other than yourself, that person must be present too. This also applies to children.

What to bring with you

Bring a valid form of identification with you: a passport or an identity card.

If you don’t speak Dutch, English or German, you should also bring someone to interpret for you.

When registering a child under the age of 16 you will also need to bring:

Registration form

You can download the registration form and bring the completed form to the RNI desk.


Registration in the RNI is free.

After you have registered

If everything is in order, the municipality will register you in the RNI. You will then receive proof of registration and a citizen service number (BSN). You will need your BSN for your dealings with the Dutch government.

Ensure that your details in the RNI are correct

Have your details changed? Then please report the changes to the RNI, so that Dutch (government) organisations can still contact you.

How do I change my details in the RNI?

I am moving abroad

If you live in the Netherlands and move abroad, you need to deregister with the municipality where you live. The municipality will transfer your data to the Register of Non-Residents (RNI).

How do I deregister when I go abroad?


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful