Go to Digid.nl to apply for a DigiD for your child. You can do this even if you live abroad. Then make an appointment to collect your activation code by video call with Netherlands Worldwide or in person at a DigiD service desk in or outside the Netherlands. Use the activation code to activate your child’s DigiD.
How can I apply for a DigiD for my child?
Parents or guardians of children under 14 can help them apply for a DigiD. Fill in your child’s details on the online application form at DigiD.nl.
Conditions for applying for a DigiD
- Your child is a Dutch national or the national of another country within the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Your child has a valid passport or identity card from an EEA country.
- Your child has a citizen service number (BSN).
- Your child is registered in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).
- You or your child has a phone which can receive text messages (SMS) both in the Netherlands and abroad.
- You or your child has an email address.
Collecting an activation code
When you submit the DigiD application via DigiD.nl, you will receive a service desk code by e-mail and SMS text message. Use this service desk code to collect the activation code for your child’s DigiD. This can be done in various ways:
- Collecting a DigiD activation code by video call
- Collecting a DigiD activation code at a DigiD service desk in the Netherlands
- Collecting a DigiD activation code at a DigiD service desk abroad
The service desk code is valid for 30 days. Therefore, make an appointment to pick up your activation code first. Then you can be sure that the code has not expired on the day of the appointment.
Activate your child’s DigiD within 21 days of collecting the activation code. You can do this at DigiD.nl.
What does my child need a DigiD for?
A DigiD is a secure identification tool for using various online services in the Netherlands. This includes government services and the services of healthcare institutions. You can also use DigiD from outside the Netherlands.
Other matters you can arrange for your child
If you live outside the Netherlands, there may be other matters to arrange for your child.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.