When do I have to register with a Dutch municipality?

Are you going to live in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months? For example, if you are returning to the Netherlands from abroad or if you are going to live in the Netherlands for the first time. In that case, you will need to register with the Dutch municipality where you are going to live. Your details will then be included or updated in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Registering within 5 days of arrival

You are required to register (in person) within 5 days of your arrival in the Netherlands. This also applies if you are moving to the Netherlands from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, St. Eustatius or St. Maarten.

When you register, you often have to hand in various documents, for example a birth certificate or a marriage certificate. Ask the municipality which documents you need.

Making an appointment

Contact the municipality where you would like to register well ahead of time. In most cases you will need an appointment to register.

Attention: At the moment the waiting time at the municipality can be longer than usual. Please keep this in mind.

Registering a partner and/or children

If your partner and/or children have also come to live in the Netherlands, they must register in person at the municipality too. They will need to have a valid form of ID with them to do so.

Personal Records Database

When you register with a Dutch municipality your personal data is entered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You will be registered as a resident. If you were already in the BRP as a non-resident, your data will be updated.

Citizen service number

After you register you will be given a citizen service number (BSN) if you did not already have one. Do you already have a citizen service number? Then this number is still valid. You need a citizen service number for your contacts with the Dutch government. For example, for healthcare or taxes. You can also use it to apply for a DigiD.

Staying less than 4 months

If you will be staying in the Netherlands to work or study for less than 4 months, you can register at any of the 19 RNI municipalities.

Are you moving back to the Netherlands?


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.