What you need
To do an ID check using the CheckID app, you need to have activated the DigiD app on your own device. You also need a valid Dutch identity document and a compatible device (with an NFC reader) from someone close by. Check the specifications of the person’s device to make sure it is compatible.
Compatible smartphones and tablets
Android smartphone or tablet:
- with Android OS 6.0 or later
- with NFC reader
- model 7 or newer
- with iOS 13.0 or later
Acceptable forms of ID
- A Dutch driving licence (issued after 14 November 2014).
- Your Dutch passport or identity card. Please note: has your Dutch passport or identity card been issued by an embassy, consulate, border municipality or the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol desk? In that case the app will ask you to enter some information from your identity document during the ID check. Please keep your passport or identity card to hand.
Adding an ID check using the CheckID app
- Download the CheckID app on the device with the NFC reader.
- Open the DigiD app on your own device.
- Open the CheckID app on the other device.
- Tap ‘Start’ in your DigiD app.
- A code will appear in the DigiD app on your device. Enter this code in the CheckID app on the other device, and tap ‘Next’.
- Use the DigiD app to scan the QR code in the CheckID app, and tap ‘Confirm’.
- Enter your DigiD app PIN.
- Hold your ID against the back of the device with the NFC reader.
- The CheckID app will establish a secure connection with DigiD and will add the ID check to your DigiD app.
- You should now see a green check mark next to the ID check under ‘Settings’ in your DigiD app. If so, the ID check was successful.
Downloading the DigiD app
If you don’t already have the DigiD app on your phone or tablet, you’ll need to download it before you can do an ID check.
Activating your DigiD app
If you haven’t already activated your DigiD app, you’ll need to do that too. Learn about how to activate your DigiD app.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.