If you live in the United States and want to apply for a short-stay visa for the Netherlands or Luxembourg, find out about the rules and how to apply.
As of 17 September 2022, there are no longer any COVID-19 entry rules for travellers to the Netherlands. You can enter the Netherlands without proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative test result.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
- You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are under 18 and are travelling without one or both of your parents or guardians, ask them to sign a consent form. Border guards may ask to see this form when you arrive in the Netherlands.
- In a country where visa applications are processed by an external service provider, your digital photo will be taken at the Visa Application Centre. Have you applied for a visa in the last 59 months? Then you yourself will have to submit a photo with your application. This photo must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 59 months. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
Did you provide biometric data (fingerprints and photo) within the last 59 months prior to your current application? Then you can choose to have someone else submit your application for you. You do not have to appear in person. This also applies if you had your fingerprints taken within the last 59 months for a visa application submitted through another Schengen member state.
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
The visa fee shall be waived for applicants belonging to one of the following categories:
- children under 6 years;
- school pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training;
- researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research or participating in a scientific seminar or conference*;
- representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations.
*as defined in point (2) of Article 3 of Directive (EU) 2016/801 of the European Parliament and of the Council ( 1 )
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 6 months before you intend to travel. Seafarers can apply 9 months before intended travel date. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. However, it can sometimes take up to 45 days, for example if extra documents are required.
If you’ve applied for a visa for the Netherlands, you can track the status of your application online.
Longer waiting time for visa applications
You may experience longer waiting times to get an appointment. And it may take longer than 15 days to process your application.
This is because more applicants want to travel to the Netherlands after COVID travel restrictions have been eased worldwide.
We are working to expand the number of available appointments and to increase our capacity. We regularly offer new appointment slots, so please keep checking the appointment system.
Plan your trip well in advance. And make sure you have all the documents ready for your appointment.
How will my application be assessed?
Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.
Do not use intermediary agencies
To submit your application, you have to make an appointment via an online appointment system. This system is accessible to everyone. There are intermediary agencies that take advantage of this by retaining appointments and selling them.
We recommend that you make an appointment yourself and that you do not use the service of these intermediaries.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
Applications via VFS Global
Visa applications can be submitted at the Netherlands Visa Application Centers (VAC) of VFS Global.
You can submit your application at the VAC in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco or Washington. Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
The Netherlands also represents Luxembourg. If your main destination is Luxembourg, you can also apply for a short-stay visa at the Netherlands VAC in Miami.
Diplomatic note (business travellers)
Are you a business traveller? And do you need a diplomatic note (note verbale)? Please send an e-mail to: WAS-COVIDB2BTRAVEL@minbuza.nl
Applications from the islands
Applicants from the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico, the Turks and Caicos Islands, and the US Virgin Islands can only submit their application in person at the VAC of VFS Global in Miami (after having made an appointment).
Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
Once you have submitted your application, you can return to your home town with your passport and send your passport back to the VAC in Miami as soon as possible. The visa application center in Miami will need the passport to process your visa application.