Netherlands Worldwide

Objecting against the decision when your visa application has been refused

Language selection:English

You can object if your application for a visa for the Netherlands has been refused.

Objections must be submitted in writing

If your application for a visa for the Netherlands has been refused, you will receive an official letter explaining the decision. You will then have 4 weeks to object to this decision in writing. Read the letter to find out how to lodge an objection. The address you need to send your objection to will also be given in the letter.

Attention: Has your application been approved, but do you disagree with, for example, the start date or the validity of your visa? Then you can also object to the decision.

Find all the information on registering an objection or appeal on the website of the IND.

Please note: if you applied for a visa for the Netherlands via a representing Schengen member state, you can only lodge an objection with that state.

Authorising another person to lodge an objection

You can write a letter authorising another person to lodge an objection on your behalf. The letter of authorisation must be written in one of the following languages:

  • Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • English

If you applied for your visa to visit family or friends in the Netherlands, your family member or friend is your sponsor. This sponsor can also submit an objection on your behalf via the IND’s website.

No refund of visa application fees

If your visa application is refused, the application fee you paid will not be refunded.

What happens if my objection is successful?

If your objection is successful, your application will be approved. You can then go to the embassy, consulate, or external service provider where you have submitted your visa application.

Bring the following documents with you:

  • a valid travel document
  • the no objection letter (and a copy) stating that your objection has been successful
  • any documents mentioned in the letter (if applicable). For example, a hotel or flight reservation, or proof of insurance.

You will not need to complete a new visa application form or pay for the visa again. You do however need to pay the service costs of the external service provider.