If you live in Iran and want to apply for a short-stay visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
You cannot apply for a Schengen visa at the Netherlands embassy in Tehran. You can only apply at VFS Global.
Coronavirus: extension of visa validity is not possible
It is not possible to extend a visa. Not even if, due to circumstances, the visa expired unused. You will have to apply for a new visa.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
- You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are under 18 and are travelling without one or both of your parents or guardians, ask them to sign a consent form. Border guards may ask to see this form when you arrive in the Netherlands.
- In a country where visa applications are processed by an external service provider, in most cases your digital photo will be taken at the Visa Application Centre. In all other cases you yourself will have to submit a photo with your application. This photo must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 59 months. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
Did you provide biometric data (fingerprints and photo) within the last 59 months prior to your current application? Then you can choose to have someone else submit your application for you. You do not have to appear in person. This also applies if you had your fingerprints taken within the last 59 months for a visa application submitted through another Schengen member state.
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
The visa fee shall be waived for applicants belonging to one of the following categories:
- children under 6 years;
- school pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training;
- researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research or participating in a scientific seminar or conference*;
- representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations.
*as defined in point (2) of Article 3 of Directive (EU) 2016/801 of the European Parliament and of the Council ( 1 )
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 6 months before you intend to travel. Seafarers can apply 9 months before intended travel date. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. However, it can sometimes take up to 45 days, for example if extra documents are required.
How will my application be assessed?
Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.
Do not use intermediary agencies
To submit your application, you have to make an appointment via an online appointment system. This system is accessible to everyone. There are intermediary agencies that take advantage of this by retaining appointments and selling them.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
How to apply for a short stay visa in Iran?
Visa applications have to be submitted at the VFS office in Tehran. Appointments have to be made via the website of VFS Global in Tehran.
It is very busy with visa applications. This will result in longer waiting times before you can schedule an appointment to submit your visa application.
Collection of your document
You can collect your passport with the receipt of your visa application at the VFS Global office 15 days after submission.
Negative decision on your visa application
If the decision on your visa application is negative, your passport will be returned to you with a letter stating the reason(s) for the negative decision. You will be requested to sign for the receipt of this letter.
Please read the letter carefully as it also contains information on the possibility to object to a negative decision. An objection is lodged in the Netherlands at the Ministry of Justice.