Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Canada

Are you a Dutch national living in Canada? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Ottawa, at the consulates-general in Vancouver and Toronto or at the VFS Global office in Edmonton. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Do you only apply for a passport to retain your Dutch nationality? Then you can also request a certificate of Dutch nationality. That's cheaper. And you do not have to visit the embassy or consulate general in person.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. If you are applying for a passport or ID card abroad, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Canada

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for Canada.

Proof of legal residence  

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Canada, you can do this by providing:

  • a valid work or study permit
  • a valid Canadian permanent residence permit
  • a Canadian naturalisation certificate (bearing the date of naturalisation
  • a Canadian passport

No proof of legal residence

If you have no proof of legal residence, apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a search of citizenship records. This will show whether you are a resident of Canada.

You can also provide a statement from the Canadian Immigration stating that the application for your stay is being processed. You must present a valid passport before the application procedure can be completed.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Canada

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Canada, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Canada (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

At the embassy in Ottawa or the consulates-general in Vancouver or Toronto

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Ottawa or the consulate-general in Vancouver or Toronto.

At VFS Global in Edmonton

You can also apply for a Dutch passport or ID card at the VFS Global office in Edmonton. VFS Global is an external service provider. For each application, VFS Global charges an additional standard service fee on top of the normal passport or ID card fee.

VFS Global will send your application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands, where it will be processed. To visit the VFS Global office in Edmonton, you can make an appointment online. Or you can send an email to

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Canada.

Payments can be made in cash, in Canadian dollars (CAD). Please use the exact amount. The embassy and the consulates cannot offer change. You can also pay by debit or credit card. American Express cards are not accepted.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy or consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Ottawa or the consulates-general in Toronto or Vancouver. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

  • Ottawa: you can collect your document between 8.30 and 12.00 Monday to Friday.
  • Toronto: you can collect your document between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday.
  • Vancouver: you can collect your document between 9.00 and 13.00 Monday to Friday.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by post. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.

Please check the mailing instructions of VFS Global when submitting your application at VFS Global in Edmonton and you wish to have your documents returned via courier.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Ottawa, the consulate-general in Vancouver or the consulate-general in Toronto.