These instructions outline how you receive your new passport or other document once it has been finalized by a consular section at one of the Dutch missions in Canada.
Due to coronavirus restrictions it is generally not yet possible to collect a document at the Dutch mission in person.
Applying for products or services
Most products or services you apply for in-person at the mission, with only a few online and mail-in exceptions.
Apply in personat the embassy or a consulate-general
- ID card
- Schengen visa (Ottawa only)
- Legalization of signature
- Copy conform original
- Certificate of life
Apply online only
- Certificate of Dutch nationality
Mail-in or in person
- Certificate of residence
- Legalization of a document
Sending your document to the mission
You may only send a request for ‘certificate of residence’ or ‘legalization of a document’ by mail to the Dutch mission. You can use standard or registered mail, or a courier of your choice.
Receive your document from the mission
How you receive your document once it has been finalized depends on what you applied for:
- Consular declaration: via standard mail service to the address (free, worldwide) you provided with your request. Or Canada Post Xpresspost.
- Legalized document: via standard mail service to the address (free, worldwide) you provided with your request. Or Canada Post Xpresspost.
- Passport (with visa, if applicable): will be shipped to you using the Canada Post Xpresspost envelope you provided with your application. You will receive a notification when this happens.
- ID-card: you must collect in person.
Canada Post Xpresspost (within Canada)
- To receive your new (travel) document,you must provide a self-addressed prepaid Canada Post Xpresspost envelope with your application/request.
- Choose the appropriate type for your delivery: ‘Regional’ or ‘National’ (within Canada only). A standard (small) size envelope will fit 4 passports.
- Optional: you can purchase a special ‘sticker’ at the post office and put it on your Xpresspost envelope: this will require (your) signature upon delivery. Please note: This sticker should not be used when sending your application to the consular office.
- Canada Post outlets are conveniently located near the embassy and consulates.
United States of America and international destinations
We will accept a prepaid airway-bill label from DHL, FedEx or UPS for the United States or international destinations.
The embassy and consulates-general are not responsible for loss of or damage to a (travel) document once it has been shipped in the envelope and address you provided.