Netherlands Worldwide

Apply for a short-stay Schengen visa in Iraq

Please note that Dutch visa services in Iraq are limited.

You can only apply for the following kinds of Schengen visa in Iraq: business visa (only in case a Dutch company has invited you), official visits, participants of programmes funded by the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs and Nuffic students with a MENA scholarship.

For which visa can you not apply in Iraq? Tourists, conference participants and most other Iraqi travellers need to apply for a visa outside of Iraq, for example in Amman, Ankara, Beirut, Cairo or Tehran.

Download this page in Arabic. Please read all the information on this page carefully to see which rules apply to you.

What documents do you need to prepare?

  • You must submit a passport (A-, G-, D- or E- series) issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
  • You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form.
  • The photo you submit with your application must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
  • When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 5 years.
  • You will be charged a fee for your application (see below). If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.

You must also bring the following items:

  • Colour copies of:
    • your passport (A-, G-, D- or E- series);
    • your ID card plus an official English (or Dutch) translation;
    • previous Schengen visa (if applicable), including entry and exit stamps.
  • The original letter and a copy of your medical insurance, stating that:
    • the insurance is valid throughout the Schengen area;
    • the insurance is valid during the entire travel period;
    • coverage amounts to 30,000 euros or more;
    • coverage includes repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical care, emergency hospital treatment or death.
  • Flight reservation (no ticket) covering the period of your stay in the Schengen area.
  • Proof establishing the purpose of your trip:
  • In case you travel to other countries after your trip to the Schengen area: visa, residence permit or passport to enter the next country you will visit after you have left the Schengen area.
  • In case you do not reside in your home country: proof of residency.

How much does a visa cost?

A visa in Baghdad costs 87 US dollars and you can pay the exact amount in cash only. You will need to add a service fee when you apply through VFS Global Erbil, which amounts to 20 euros or its equivalent in US dollars. Please note that visa and service fees are subject to change without notice. You can also find the fees on the fees page.

How long does it take?

The earliest you can apply is 6 months before you intend to travel. Due to specific circumstances in Iraq we advise you to apply at least 1 month before your planned departure date.

Please note your passport will be kept by the Embassy during processing. If extra documents are required, it can take up to 60 days before your application will be processed.

How will your application be assessed?

Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.

Your application will also be checked in the Schengen Information System (SIS II). In addition, your application details will be checked and saved in the Visa Information System (VIS).

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.

Apply in Baghdad or Erbil

You can apply for a visa at the VFS Visa Application Centre in Baghdad or Erbil. Please visit the website of VFS Global to make an appointment.

Other applicants

All other visa applicants - including business conference participants - need to apply for a Dutch visa outside of Iraq, for example in Amman, Ankara, Beirut, Cairo or Tehran. This applies to everyone who travels to visit family and friends or to attend a training or exhibition.

You also need to apply outside of Iraq if you need a long stay visa (known as an MVV), a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom (e.g. Aruba, Curaçao) or if you are a self-funded student. Persons under the age of 18 must also apply outside of Iraq.