Legalisation of documents from Trinidad and Tobago for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Trinidad and Tobago in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the local authorities. This is done with an apostille. This is a simplified form of legalisation which allows you to use your documents in the Netherlands.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Trinidad and Tobago, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in English do not have to be translated for use in the Netherlands.
  • The authorities of Trinidad and Tobago do not issue electronic apostilles (e-apostilles). Have you received a digital copy of a deed? Please print that statement and have the hard copy of the statement legalised.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Where can you have your document legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Trinidad and Tobago authorities. See the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) website for contact details.

Once your document has been legalised it is fit for use in the Netherlands.

It is then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

You can apply for civil status documents online through the Vital Events Online Application Service of the Registrar General's Department. At the moment of application you can indicate whether you need an apostille.

You can request official copies of:

  • birth certificates
  • marriage certificates
  • death certificates

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the registry office (Registrar General’s Department).

You can apply for an official copy of a divorce certificate by email ( from the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago. You will receive the copy digitally by email.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.