Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from South Korea for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from South Korea in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the South Korean authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from South Korea can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • CuraƧao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Special documents

South Korean nationals have

  • a basic certificate (birth certificate)
  • a family relation certificate or
  • a certificate of removal from the family registry.

The last two certificates contain information about the composition of the family and record whether a member of the family has died.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate (you must present both a basic certificate and a family relation certificate)
  • an official copy of a certificate of civil status; this document states whether you are unmarried, married or divorced

Dutch nationals can get a certificate of unmarried status from the Netherlands embassy.

Official copies of certificates
You can get these documents from your district office (gu office) or sub-municipal office (myeun, eup or dong office).

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the South Korean authorities. You can find the address on the site of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Documents issued by the South Korean embassy in the Netherlands

If you are a South Korean national living in the Netherlands:

The South Korean embassy in The Hague issues official copies of basic certificates (birth certificates), family relation certificates, marriage certificates and certificates of removal from the family registry.

These documents must be legalised by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

After this legalisation It is ready for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The apostille on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.