Legalisation of documents from the Democratic Republic of the Congo for use in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

To use a document from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the DRC Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in French do not have to be translated for use in the Netherlands.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.
  • Organisations in the Netherlands only accept official copies or complete official copies of civil status records. An extract (extrait) or declaration (attestation) cannot be used as proof in the Netherlands.

Where can you have your document legalised?

Where you can have your document legalised depends on where you are.

Don’t have the document you need? 

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.