Legalisation of documents from Japan for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Japan in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with an apostille. This is a simplified form of legalisation which allows you to use your documents in the Netherlands.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Japan, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in Japanese must be translated for use in the Netherlands.
  • The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs doesn't legalise translations. Therefore always have your document legalised first and only then have it translated.
  • Japan has no sworn translators.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Legalisation of documents in Japanese is a three-step process.

Step 1: Having your document legalised

Have your Japanese document legalised with an apostille.

You can get an apostille from the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. See the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) website for contact details.

Step 2: Having your document translated

If your document is in Japanese, you must have it translated into Dutch, English, French or German by a sworn translator.

Once your document and translation have been legalised they are fit for use in the Netherlands.

They are then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.