Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from Belgium for use in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

You want to use a document from Belgium in the Netherlands. Some documents can be used immediately. Others must first be legalised by the Belgian authorities. This is done electronically with an e-apostille. This is a simplified form of legalisation which allows you to use your documents in the Netherlands.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Belgium see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates and death certificates from Belgium do not have to be legalised for use in the Netherlands. The same applies to multilingual extracts from these records.
  • In Belgium documents are issued in Dutch and French, and sometimes German. Documents in these languages do not have to be translated for use in the Netherlands. 
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

What documents do not have to be legalised? 

The following documents do not have to be legalised for use in the Netherlands.

Using documents freely within the EU

Civil status records are a type of public document. Public documents do not have to be legalised for use in another EU country. Sometimes you may need to ask for a multilingual standard form to be attached to your document. You can find more information about public documents on the European Justice website.

What documents have to be legalised?

The following documents must be legalised for use in the Netherlands.

If you want to use another type of document, find out from the organisation in the Netherlands requesting it whether it needs to be legalised.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You must have your documents legalised with an e-apostille by the Belgian authorities. See the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) website for contact details.

Once your documents are legalised they are fit for use in the Netherlands. 

They are then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

Attention: Check whether you can get a multilingual extract. A multilingual extract does not need to be translated or legalised for use in the Netherlands.

If you need to obtain another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.