Working in the Netherlands with a foreign qualification

Language selection:English

If you have a foreign certificate or diploma and want to work in the Netherlands, there are several things you need to find out. You may need to have certain documents or get professional recognition before you can work here.

Getting your diploma or certificate legalised

Your employer in the Netherlands may ask you for a legalised diploma or certificate. By legalising a diploma that was issued by a competent authority abroad you can use it in the Netherlands. A diploma or certificate is usually legalised by adding a stamp or sticker called an ‘apostille’. It shows that the document is genuine. You must have your diploma or certificate legalised in the country where it was issued.

Find out more about legalising foreign documents

Getting your foreign qualification evaluated

If you want to work in the Netherlands, you may need to get your diploma or certificate evaluated. This shows how your qualifications and training compare with the standards set by the Dutch education system. Credential evaluation is not mandatory; it is up to your employer to decide. So contact your future employer in the Netherlands and ask if they require it.

Find out more about evaluation of qualifications for work

Working in a regulated profession

In the Netherlands, certain professions are regulated (protected) by law. People in these jobs need to satisfy specific requirements. Check whether the profession you want to practise is regulated in the Netherlands. If it is, you must first apply for professional recognition by a Dutch professional association. Professional recognition means you have permission to practise in the Netherlands. There different professional associations for different professions.

Find out more about working in a regulated profession in the Netherlands


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful