Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in United States

Are you a Dutch national living in United States? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at a Dutch embassy in Washington, at the consulates-general in Miami, New York and San Francisco or at the VFS Global office in Chicago. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for a passport or ID card at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. This also applies to applications at an office of an external service provider such as VFS Global. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy, consulate general or VFS Global. In that case, for the time being you can only submit your application at a number of Dutch border municipalities and at Schiphol.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for the United States

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for the United States.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In the United States, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action); 
  • a valid residence permit.

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the United States by providing one of the following documents:

  • a copy of your valid American passport (if you were born in the US);
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US).

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

First-time application

If you have never previously held a Dutch passport or ID card, and you are bringing with you a birth certificate or marriage certificate that was issued in the United States, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.  

First renewal after acquiring US nationality

If you are renewing your Dutch passport or identity card for the first time since acquiring US nationality, you must have your naturalisation document legalised with an apostille.

If you acquired US nationality through your partner, bring proof that you were married at the time of your naturalisation (affidavit of marital status (PDF, 156 KB)). This statement (the affidavit) must be filled in by your partner. You also need a signed and dated copy of your partners ID-card or passport.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in the United States

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the United States, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in the United States (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

At the embassy or the consulates-general

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Washington or the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco.

The embassy and consulates general are open. However, the appointment system fills up very quickly and there are only slots for 1 applicant available. If you can't find an appointment slot, please try again later. 

At VFS Global

You can also apply for a Dutch passport or ID card at the VFS Global office in Chicago. VFS Global is an external service provider. For each application, VFS Global charges an additional standard service fee on top of the normal passport or ID card fee.

VFS Global will send your application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands, where it will be processed. To visit the VFS Global office in Chicago, you can make an appointment online. Or you can send an email to

Are you no longer in posession of your passport or ID card but do you still have a copy of the document? In this case you can also submit your application at VFS Global. If not, please make an appointment at the embassy or a consulate-general.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United States.

Payments can be made by credit card only (Visa or Mastercard). It is not possible to make payments with American Express or Diners Club cards.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy or consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Washington DC, the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco or the VFS Global office in Chicago the following way:

  • Washington DC: make an appointment online to collect your document
  • Miami: between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday
  • New York: make an appointment by sending an email stating your name and the time you would like to collect your document
  • San Francisco: you can pick-up your document from Monday to Friday between 9:30 and 13:00 hours. However, before you come, send an e-mail with the name of the person who will pick up the document and the date on which it will be picked up. This is for the reception / security in the building where the consulate-general is located.
  • Chicago: please check the website of VFS Global for the collection times and closing days of VFS Global in Chicago.

First check which days our embassy and consulates-general are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by UPS, USPS, FedEx or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid shipping label when you submit your application (1 for each application). For more information see the mailing instructions.

Please check the mailing instructions of VFS Global when submitting your application at VFS Global in Chicago and you wish to have your documents returned via courier.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the Dutch embassy in Washington D.C., the Consulate General in New York, the Consulate General in Miami or the Consulate General in San Fransisco.