Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Sweden

Are you a Dutch national living in Sweden? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Stockholm. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Residents from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania can also submit their application to the Dutch embassy in Stockholm.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. If you are applying for a passport or ID card abroad, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Sweden

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Sweden.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.

Residents from Sweden can do this by providing:

  • a population registration certificate (personbevis) in English issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). To obtain this document you can call Skatteverket on 0771 567 567 (from within Sweden) or on +46 8 564 851 60 (from outside Sweden);
  • you can also apply for your document online and have it sent to you by post. Visit Skatteverket's website in English. Go to Individuals and employees/Living in Sweden/Population registration certificate. Under 'Who are you going to submit the certificate to?' choose 'Foreign embassy/government agency/other recipient’ In the final step, you will need to fill in the Swedish personal ID number belonging to the applicant(s);
  • if you have a BankID or Mobile BankID you can also apply for an print out a personbevis via the Skatteverket website.

Residents from Estonia can do this by providing:

  • an Estonian ID card. At citizenship it should state 'NLD' and at place of birth 'Holland/NLD';
  • an English-language extract from the Estonian population register.

Residents from Latvia can do this by providing:

  • an extract from the Latvian population register, with the address where you are officially registered;
  • a rental agreement of a house or apartment in your name;
  • a gas or electricity bill on which your name and address are stated;
  • if you work in Latvia: an employer's statement.

Residents of Lithuania can do this by providing:

  • an extract from the Lithuanian population register, with the address where you are officially registered.

Additional information on birth certificates in the event of a first-time application in Sweden

  • If the applicant was born in Sweden: a detailed personbevis from Skatteverket's population registration certificate, in English is required. The document should provide information on the applicant's parents.
  • If the applicant was born in the Netherlands: the original Dutch birth certificate is required.
  • If the applicant was born in a third country: the original birth certificate is required, if necessary legalised and translated by a sworn translator.

Additional information if you got married in Sweden

If you marry in Sweden you are not given a marriage certificate, but a document known in Swedish as a vigselbevis.

First application: legalisation of documents

Does your personal checklist (step 1) state that you must have a document legalised?

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Sweden

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Sweden, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Sweden (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Stockholm.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Sweden.
Payment is by debit card only.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 4 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Stockholm between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

In exceptional cases we can send your travel document by registered post if you have a Swedish driving licence or another official proof of identity. You will have to pay extra for this service.

Please also note that documents are sent at your own risk. The embassy cannot reimburse you if your travel document gets lost in the post.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.
If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Stockholm.