Legalisation of documents from Sri Lanka for use in the Netherlands

Have your document from Sri Lanka legalised by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The legalisation will be issued digitally. Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Sri Lanka can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records. You will need to allow about three to six months' processing time for requesting documents in Sri Lanka.

  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Sri Lankan authorities where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the Central Record Room in Colombo or from the ‘Divisional Secretariat’ in your place of birth.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can have a sworn statement (affidavit) drawn up by one of the following:

  • a notary public
  • a court (justice of the peace)
  • a Divisional Secretariat
  • a village officer (Grama Niladhari)

Ask the authority which documents you need to bring with you.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get this document from the register where your Muslim, Kandyan or civil marriage is registered.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document from Sri Lanka legalised by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Division.

After your document has been legalised by the Sri Lankan authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The legalisation of your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.