Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Poland

Are you a Dutch national living in Poland? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Warsaw. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Applicants from Lithuania can also apply at the Dutch embassy in Warsaw.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to apply for a passport or ID card at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. This also applies to applications at an office of an external service provider such as VFS Global.

New ID card

From 2 August 2021, all ID cards issued to Dutch nationals aged 12 and older will include copies of two of their fingerprints and a QR code with their citizen service number (BSN). You should know:

  • From 13 July to 1 August 2021 inclusive, for technical reasons, it will not be possible to apply for an ID card at an embassy or consulate-general. If you need to apply for a travel document before 2 August, you can apply for a passport.
  • From 2 August 2021, applicants will receive an ID card in the new format. Please note: when you apply, you will have to have your fingerprints taken. This will require you to come to the embassy or consulate-general in person.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Poland

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Poland.

Proof of legal residence  

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Poland, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a residence permit (zaświadczenie o zarejestrowaniu pobytu obywatela UE);
  • proof that you are registered with your local municipality;
  • a bank statement or utility bill bearing your name and address;
  • proof of payment of municipal taxes;
  • if you also hold the Polish nationality: a valid Polish passport or ID card.

Do you live in Lithuania? Then you can do this by providing one of these documents:

  • proof that you are registered with your local municipality;
  • a bank statement or utility bill bearing your name and address;
  • if you also hold the Lithuanian nationality: a valid Lithuanian passport of ID card.

Translation or legalisation isn't necessary.

First-time application: legalisation of documents

If, according to your personal checklist (step 1), you need to get a document legalised, and the multilingual extract of your birth certificate or marriage certificate was issued in Poland, legalisation is not necessary. You can use these documents directly to apply for a passport or ID card.

Do you have a document from another country? Then check whether it needs to be legalised.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Poland

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Poland, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Poland (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Warsaw.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Poland.
Payments can be made both in cash, in Polish złoty (PLN) or by pin payment.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Warsaw:

  • between 12.30 and 13.00 on Mondays

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post


You can also have your new passport sent to you by courier (TNT). You will have to pay the postage charge yourself. You must pay the postage charge when you submit your application.

ID card

Your new identity card will not be sent by post. You should collect it at the embassy in Warsaw.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Warsaw.