Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in India

Are you a Dutch national living in India? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Netherlands embassy in New Delhi or the consulate-general in Mumbai. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for India

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for India.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In India, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents;
  • a valid residence permit;
  • if you also hold the Indian nationality: a valid Indian passport or ID card.

First-time application

If, according to your personal checklist (step 1), you need to get a document legalised, and if your birth certificate or marriage certificate was issued in India, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.

First-time applications and name series in India

Please note that for a first passport or ID card application, the name of the applicant is displayed exactly as in the Indian birth certificate. In India, the name in the birth certificate is often displayed in a series of names (in Dutch: namenreeks). We advise you to read the information on the page Registering a birth in India.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in India

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in India, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in India (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an online appointment to visit the embassy in New Delhi or the consulate-general in Mumbai.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in India. You can pay by credit card, or in cash in Indian rupees (INR).

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy or consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document in New Delhi, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Have your document sent by post


Until further notice, due to the Coronavirus, we only send new passports to you by courier or by registered post. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself when you submit your application.

Collection of your passport by courier
If you live in India, your passport can be sent to you by courier (DTDC). How can you arrange this?

  1. Call the DTDC courier service on +91 97 1100 1980 (Monday - Saturday between 10.00 - 17.00 hrs.).
  2. If the courier service is available at your address, then DTDC will ask you to make an online payment of INR 750.
  3. You will receive an airway bill number (AWB) via text message as soon as the payment has been made.
  4. Write this AWB number down; you will need it at the time of sending the passport;
  5. Print and fill the disclaimer form and write the AWB Number at the bottom of the page.
  6. Submit your application at the embassy in New Delhi or at the consulate-general in Mumbai and ask for a DTDC envelope. Write your address, passport number and AWB number on it in BLOCK LETTERS; The DTDC envelope will be used to return your passport to the address mentioned on the disclaimer form.
  7. You can use your AWB number to track your shipment.

ID card

Your new identity card will not be sent by post. You should collect it at the embassy in New Delhi or the consulate-general in Mumbai.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy or consulate-general will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you. If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in New Delhi or the consulate-general in Mumbai.