Legalisation of documents from Ghana for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Ghana in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Ghanaian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Ghana can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get an official copy of a birth certificate from the central Registry of Births and Deaths in Accra.

Certificate of unmarried status

Please have an affidavit drawn up. This is a sworn statement that you, one of your parents, the head of the family or a direct relative, makes to the notary.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get an official copy of a marriage certificate in the place where you got married. This place is stated on the certificate.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get an official copy of a divorce certificate (ordinance) from the court.

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get an official copy of a death certificate from the central Registry of Births and Deaths in Accra.

Where and how to get your document legalised

1. You must take your document to a notary public. The notary will provide your document with:

  • a stamp
  • a signature
  • a seal

By doing this, the notary confirms:

  • that your document is an original document from Ghana
  • that your document has been signed by an authorised official.

2. You must then get a cover letter from the Judicial Service which confirms that the notary public’s signature is authentic.

3. Finally, you must have the cover letter legalised by the Ghanaian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

After your document has been legalised by the Ghanaian authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised. You must provide an old official copy of the document (or a photocopy).

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.