Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Finland

Are you a Dutch national living in Finland? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Netherlands embassy in Helsinki. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional information regarding Finland

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the additional information regarding Finland.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. You can do this by providing one of the following documents:

Applicants from Finland

There are two options:

Option 1 (for a fee): a recent English-language extract from the population register stating your nationality.

  • In Finnish this is called virkatodistus. In English, this is called extract from the population information system. For minors, the extract must contain the information about parents and custodians.
  • You can request this extract from any service location of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (formerly Maistraatti).
  • You can also request the extract by e-mail: or by telephone via the Finnish local number: 029 55 36 230.

In Finland, there is no separate birth certificate. All information is included in the population register of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV), formerly Maistraatti. An extract from the DVV with the personal data then also serves as a birth certificate.

Option 2 (free of charge for adults): a summary of your personal data via

  • You can request an extract of your personal data (summary of personal data) online by logging in via online banking via Make print screens of the information (basic information, address details and possibly personal relationships) and add them to your application.

Please note: For minors you can request a birth certificate of the child via for a fee.

Applicants from Estonia

  • A valid Estonian ID card that says 'citizenship: NLD' on the front and 'place of birth: Holland / NLD' on the back.

First-time application: legalisation of documents

Does your personal checklist (step 1) state that you must have a document legalised?

Do you have a document from Finland? Usually the document doesn't need to be legalised (no apostille is needed).

Do you have a multilingual extract from the Civil Registry in Estonia? Then this document does not need to be legalised. You can use this document directly for the application of your passport or ID card.

Do you have a document from another country? Then check whether it should be legalised.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Finland

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Finland, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional information applies to Finland (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment using the online appointment system to visit the embassy in Helsinki.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Finland. Payment is by debit card only.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You will need to make an appointment to collect your travel document from the embassy in Helsinki.

Have your document sent by post


You can also have your new passport sent to you by registered post (Posti). You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.

ID card

Your new identity card will not be sent by post. You should collect it at the embassy in Helsinki.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you. If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Helsinki.