Legalisation of documents from Eswatini for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Eswatini in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Eswatini. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Swaziland can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the Registrar General’s Office, PO Box 460, Mbabane.

Certificate of unmarried status
You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the Ministry of Home Affairs, PO Box 432, Mbabane.

Official copy of a divorce certificate
You can get an official copy of a divorce certificate from the district court where the divorce was granted:

  • Hhohho District, PO Box 542, Mbabane
  • Piggs Peak District, PO Box 98, Piggs Peak
  • Manzini District, PO Box 13, Manzini
  • Nhlangano District, PO Box 99, Nhlangano

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Eswatini. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.