Legalisation of documents from Egypt for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Egypt in the Netherlands, you must first have the original document legalised by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then you must have it legalised by the Netherlands embassy in Cairo.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Egypt can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

There are 2 ways to have your document translated in Egypt:

  1. Have your document translated by the translation department of the Egyptian ministry that issued the document. Ensure that an official government translation department translates your document. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cairo will not accept translations done by any other parties.
  2. If your document concerns a birth, marriage, divorce or an addition to an existing official copy of a document, you can apply to the Egyptian civil status records office (Segal El Madani, located in Abbasiya Square) for a digital bilingual official copy (in English and Arabic).

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official original extract of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status / an official original extract of individual entry certificate
  • an official original extract of family registry certificate
  • an official original extract of a marriage certificate
  • an official original extract of a divorce certificate
  • an official original extract of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the civil status records office (El Segal El Madani). You will receive an (original) electronic extract. The embassy legalises original documents only, copies or certified true copies cannot be legalised.

Certificate of unmarried status

The Dutch embassy in Cairo only legalises the individual civil registry entry certificate of unmarried status issued by the Egyptian civil registry office (El Segal El Medani).

Getting a certificate of unmarried status in the Netherlands

If you are an Egyptian national in the Netherlands, you can have a sworn statement drawn up by the Egyptian embassy in The Hague. The statement must then be legalised by the Consular Service Centre of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

Official extract of a marriage certificate or extract of a divorce certificate

To get this document legalised you need to present not just the translation of the official original extract, but also the copy of the original handwritten marriage or divorce certificate.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

First have your document legalised by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then make an appointment at the Netherlands embassy in Cairo to get the Dutch legalisation.

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How long will it take?

The processing time for legalising documents is on average 1 working day.

How much will it cost?

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Egypt.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.