Legalisation of documents from Brunei for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Brunei in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Brunei High Court. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Brunei can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents from Brunei legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the State Medical Officer in Bandar Seri Begawan or Kuala Belait, or from the Superintendent of Births and Deaths in the region where the birth or death took place.

Certificate of unmarried status

Non-Muslims can get this document from the Registry of Civil Marriages in Bandar Seri Begawan. Muslims can get this document from the Sharia court.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get this document from the Registry of Civil Marriages in Bandar Seri Begawan, or from the regional registrar who registered or conducted the marriage ceremony.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the Sharia court that registered or granted the divorce.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the High Court of Brunei Darussalam. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.