Optional unemployment insurance coverage outside the Netherlands

If you work outside the Netherlands, you may not be insured against loss of income due to unemployment. You can avoid losing your income by taking out optional insurance. You must meet certain requirements to take out this insurance.


If you are not sure whether you have unemployment insurance coverage or where you are insured, first check where you are insured.

You can choose these insurances


You can take out optional unemployment insurance coverage only if you meet all the relevant conditions. For example, you must be below the age of retirement (AOW state pension age).


If you would like to take out optional insurance and you meet all the conditions, go ahead and apply for optional insurance from UWV.

Apply for optional insurance from UWV (in Dutch)

What you need to apply:

Don’t have a DigiD? Find out how to apply for optional insurance by post (information in Dutch).

Apply in good time

If you want to take out optional unemployment insurance, you must do so in good time. Depending on your situation that means within 13 weeks from one of the following:

  • the day you go abroad
  • the day the compulsory insurance through your employer ends
  • the day you started working outside the Netherlands.


You must pay an insurance premium for optional insurance from UWV.

Estimate your premium (in Dutch)

The benefits organisation in the country where you live may offer optional insurance against loss of income due to unemployment. Contact that organisation to find out what options are open to you.

If you live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can find the relevant benefits organisation on

You can take out unemployment insurance with an insurance company in the Netherlands or in the country where you live. Contact an insurance company to find out what options are open to you.

If you are moving abroad


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact UWV (information in Dutch).