How much supplementary child benefit can I get outside the Netherlands?

How much supplementary child benefit you get if you live abroad depends on your situation. For instance, on the country where your child lives and on your income.

Factors that influence the amount of your supplementary child benefit

  • your income
  • your benefit partner’s income
  • the country your child lives in (country factor)
  • whether you get family benefits from a country other than the Netherlands
  • how many children you have
  • how old your children are
  • whether you are a single parent.

More information

If your child lives outside the Netherlands, the average cost of living there can be higher or lower than in the Netherlands. The country factor reflects this difference in cost.

Check the country factor for each country on the CAK website (information in Dutch).

If the cost of living is lower than in the Netherlands, the amount you receive will be lower than if your child lived in the Netherlands. If the cost of living is higher than in the Netherlands, the amount you receive will be higher.

The country factor does not apply to EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, but it is used for many other countries.

If the amount of child benefit you get is adjusted using a country factor, the same factor is used to calculate your supplementary child benefit.

Family benefits are:

  • child benefit
  • supplementary child benefit
  • childcare benefit
  • any benefits or allowances paid by other countries that are similar to these Dutch benefits.

If you or your partner get a family benefit from a country other than the Netherlands, you will not get the maximum benefit amount from both countries. Countries have made agreements about this.

If the family benefit you get from another country is lower than in the Netherlands, the Netherlands will supplement it. The total amount from both countries will usually be about the same as the maximum amount you would get in the Netherlands.

The SVB investigates your individual situation jointly with the relevant agency in your country of residence, makes arrangements and pays any amounts you are entitled to. The SVB cannot tell you exactly how much you will receive until it has concluded its investigation. It will then send you a letter with the definitive amount.

If you live with someone, that person might be regarded as your benefit partner. Check if you have a benefit partner (information in Dutch) on the Tax Administration website. The Tax Administration will use the combined income of you and your benefit partner to calculate the amount of any benefits.

Sample calculation

To get an idea of how much supplementary child benefit you could get, use the calculation tool on the Tax Administration website (information in Dutch). Are you getting family benefits from a country other than the Netherlands? Or do you live outside the EU? Then the calculation tool will only give you a rough estimate.

The calculation tool is only available in Dutch, but the international tax information line can help you.

Reporting changes

If your personal situation or your income changes, the amount of supplementary child benefit you are entitled to can also change. Notify the Tax Administration of any changes as soon as possible to avoid having to repay money that you weren’t entitled to.

Which changes do I need to report?

If you are moving abroad


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful