Legalisation of documents from Timor-Leste for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Timor-Leste in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Timorese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Timor-Leste, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in Portuguese or Tetun must be translated for use in the Netherlands.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Step 1: Having your document translated

If your document is in Portuguese or Tetun, you must have it translated into Dutch, English, French or German by a sworn translator.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.