Legalisation of documents from Papua New Guinea for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Papua New Guinea in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Papua New Guinean Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Papua New Guinea, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in English do not have to be translated for use in the Netherlands. Documents in Tok Pisin or Hiri Motu must be translated into Dutch, English, French or German by a sworn translator.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Where can you have your document legalised?

Have your document and, if applicable, the translation legalised by the Protocol and Consular Affairs Division of the Papua New Guinean Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Once your document has been legalised it is fit for use in the Netherlands.

It is then also fit for use in Aruba, CuraƧao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.