Legalisation of documents from Myanmar for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Myanmar in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Myanmar. The Ministry will only legalise the translation.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Myanmar, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in Burmese must be translated by a local notary office for use in the Netherlands.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Step 1: Having your document translated

If your document is in Burmese, you must have it translated for use in the Netherlands:

  1. Have the original document translated by a notary in the Yangon or Nai Pyi Taw region into Dutch, English, French or German.
  2. The notary will sign the translation.

Step 2: Have your translation legalised

  • Take the original document and the translation signed by the notary to the Legalisation department of the Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • The Legalisation department only legalises the notary's signature on the translation.
  • The Legalisation department does not legalise the original document.

Once the translation has been legalised the original document with the translation are fit for use in the Netherlands.

They are then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.