Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from Libya for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Libya in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Libya can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • CuraƧao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is not registered in the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records.

Requesting documents

First you must get a letter from your municipality stating your Libyan national number. To do this you will need your family booklet. Someone else can also request this letter on your behalf. They must take your family booklet along.
You will need this letter and your family booklet to request an official copy of a document. Someone else can request an official copy on your behalf. They will need to take along the letter and your family booklet.

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the municipality where the birth, marriage, divorce or death took place.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the municipality where you live.

Where can you have your document legalised?

Have your document from Libya legalised by the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

After your document has been legalised by the Libyan authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Libya.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.