Legalisation of documents from Haiti for use in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

To use a document from Haiti in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Haitian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Warning: Due to the ongoing unrest in Haiti, you cannot currently have documents legalised in Haiti. Ask the authority in the Netherlands that requests the document what you can do.
Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Haiti, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in Haitian Creole must be translated for use in the Netherlands. Documents in French do not have to be translated.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Step 1: Having your document translated

If your document is in Haitian Creole, you must have it translated into Dutch, English, French or German by a sworn translator.

Step 2: Legalisation of your document

Have your document and, if applicable, the translation legalised by the Haitian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once your document has been legalised it is fit for use in the Netherlands.

It is then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.