Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from Guinea for use in the Netherlands

Have your document legalised by the Guinean Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a stamp or sticker. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Guinea can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records.

Birth registration

What documents you need to get depends on whether the birth was registered on time. In urban areas births must be registered within 6 months. In rural areas births must be registered within 9 months.

Birth was registered on time

You will need the following document:

  • an extract from the register of births (extrait d’acte de naissance). This document was issued when the birth was registered.

Late registration of birth

First you must get a court judgment (jugement supplétif) on the birth from the court. Then you must take this document to the civil status records office and ask for proof of late registration of birth (transcription). Both documents must be legalised.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this document from your sub-municipal authority. Or you can make a declaration under oath in the presence of a notary.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

Ask the Guinean authorities where you can get this document.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the court where the divorce was granted.

Official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Guinean authorities where you can get this document.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document from Guinea legalised by the Guinean Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

After your document has been legalised by the Guinean authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

­The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.