Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from Eritrea for use in the Netherlands

Have your document legalised by the Eritrean Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a stamp or sticker. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Eritrea can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • CuraƧao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Eritrean authorities where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the regional administration office where the birth was registered.

Births after 2003

You can also get official copies of certificates dated after 2003 from the Public Registration Office in the Central (Ma'akel) region.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the Census Department in the municipality of Asmara.

You can also get this certificate from the Eritrean embassy in The Hague. The certificate must then be legalised by the Consular Service Centre at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get an official copy of a marriage certificate from the municipality where the marriage was registered.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document legalised by the Eritrean Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
After your document has been legalised by the Eritrean authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.