Legalisation of documents from Congo (Congo-Brazzaville) for use in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

To use a document from Congo in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Congolese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Attention: If you want to use a Dutch document in Congo, see Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad.

Good to know

  • Documents in French do not have to be translated for use in the Netherlands.
  • Your document must be original and complete. If it refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Where can you have your document legalised?

Have your document legalised by the Congolese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

Once your document has been legalised it is fit for use in the Netherlands. 

It is then also fit for use in Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and St Eustatius.

Don’t have the document you need?

Find out below where to obtain a document that you need but do not yet have.

You can get a birth certificate (acte de naissance), marriage certificate (acte de mariage), divorce certificate (acte de divorce) or death certificate from the office (mairie) of the municipality where the event took place.

You can get official copies of civil status records issued before Congolese independence from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the office of the municipality where you live.

If you need another type of document, ask the local authorities where you can get this document.

After legalisation

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

Legalisation does not prove the authenticity of a document or the truthfulness of its content. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to verify these things. Legalisation of your document simply means that your document bears the correct signature.

How recently must your document have been issued or legalised

Organisations have different requirements for how recently your document must have been issued and legalised. For more information, contact the organisation in the Netherlands requesting the document.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.