Netherlands Worldwide

Legalisation of documents from Cameroon for use in the Netherlands

Have your document from Cameroon legalised by the Cameroonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a stamp or sticker. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Cameroon can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records.

Official copy of a birth certificate

(une copie intégrale récente des deux côtés du registre de naissance)

You can get an official copy of a birth certificate from your municipality. To get this official copy legalised, you must also show the original birth certificate. Your parents or guardians received this document when you were born.
Please note: a photocopy of the original birth certificate (copie conforme) will not be accepted in the Netherlands.

Late registration of birth

If your birth was not registered on time, permission for registration will have been given by the court. To get an official copy of your birth certificate you will need the original birth certificate and the court judgment.

You can get the court judgment from the court that gave permission.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get an extract from the register of births. This document gives information about all your registered life events. If you are unmarried, the document can be used as a certificate of unmarried status.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get this document from the civil status records office in the municipality where you got married.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the court where the divorce was granted.

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get this document from the municipality where the death occurred.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document legalised by the Cameroonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once your document has been legalised by the Cameroonian authorities, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.