Certificate of conduct (VOG)

Language selection:English

Are you living abroad and do you need to produce a certificate of conduct (VOG)? You can apply for this document at the Ministry of Justice's Integrity and Screening Agency (Justis). Are you living in the Netherlands and are you moving abroad? Then you can apply for this document at a Dutch municipality.

What is a certificate of conduct (VOG)?

A certificate of conduct (verklaring omtrent gedrag) is a document showing that your past conduct forms no obstacle to your performing a specific task or job.

Applying for a VOG

You can apply to the Integrity and Screening Agency (Justis) for a VOG. Visit the website of the Integrity and Screening Agency for a list of the documents you will need to provide.

Information: Dutch embassies and consulates do not issue VOGs.

Reason for your application

When applying for a VOG you must state which organisation has asked you for the document. You must also explain the reason for the request.

Do you need the VOG for a visa application or emigration? Then state the official name of the country that requires the VOG on the application form.

How much does a VOG cost?

A VOG costs  € 41.35. The application form explains how you can pay.

In Dutch only

A VOG is issued in Dutch only. The document does contain an explanatory note in English. But this is not a literal translation of the certificate.

  • If you need a translation, you must have this done by a sworn translator.
  • Make sure the translation contains the translator's signature and official stamp.
  • Attach the translation to the original Dutch version of the VOG.
  • You may need to have the original and/or the translation legalised. Each country has its own rules for this.

If you are moving abroad