Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a certificate of marital status in Hong Kong

Are you a Dutch national, living in Hong Kong and do you need a certificate of marital status? You can apply for this certificate at the Marriage Registration and Record Office. You can also apply for the certificate at the Dutch consulate-general in Hong Kong.

Attention: If you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands, apply for this document from the municipality where you are registered. You may need to have the declaration/certificate translated and legalised before you can use it outside the Netherlands.

To apply for a certificate in person, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Gather the documents that you need

To apply for a certificate of marital status, you will need to provide various documents. Which documents you need to provide depends on your situation. You may need to have your documents translated and legalised.

You may need to have non-Dutch documents translated and legalised.

Do you have all the required documents? Bring your documents in hard copies to the appointment.

Step 2: Make an appointment

You must make an appointment at the consulate-general. Make an appointment online.

Besides documents mentioned, you also need to bring a certificate of absence of marriage record of the Immigration Department in Hong Kong.

Step 3: Pay the fee

The fee for a consular certificate is €30. You pay the fee when you submit your application.

You can find information on how to pay in the overview of consular fees.

Step 4: Receive the certificate

In most cases, you’ll receive the certificate on the same day as your appointment. If this is not possible, inform the staff member during your appointment whether you wish to collect the certificate or have it posted to you.

Check which days the consulate-general is closed.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.