Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Mexico

Language selection:English

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Mexico? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the embassy in Mexico City can draw up a certificate of legal capacity to marry for you.

Have you ever lived in the Netherlands?

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Attention: Check the website of the municipality where you are applying to see what documents you need. These documents may differ from the ones mentioned on this page. 

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Extra documents

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you must also include the documents below.

  • Mexican unmarried declaration of the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) of the Mexican municipality (municipio) with apostille (no translation required).
  • In case your non-Dutch partner was married before, he/she needs to bring a divorce certificate as well.

How do I apply for a consular declaration?

You can apply by e-mail:

  1. Send your e-mail to:
  2. Include the name of declaration and your surname in the subject of your email.
  3. Please indicate in the email what you need the declaration for. So the embassy will state the purpose of your declaration in the declaration.
  4. Do not forget to mention your (mobile) telephone number in the email. Do you want to receive your declaration by mail? Please mention this in your e-mail and state your address.
  5. Make a PDF of all the required documents and send it as an attachment (a photo of your documents is not allowed).
    Is the PDF file too large to send in one go? Then split the documents and send them in 2 (or more) emails.

Is your file not complete? Or is something unclear or do you have questions? Then you may have to send additional documents.

How much should I pay?

Is your application complete? Then you will receive an e-mail with the following information:

  • The total amount you have to pay: a statement costs €30.
  • The reference number to use with your transfer. Please note: if you do not use the reference number, this will lead to a delay in issuing the statement.
  • Payment instructions: transfer in euros to the bank account of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

As soon as your payment has been received, the embassy will draw up the declaration.

How will I receive my declaration?

You have the choice of receiving your declaration by e-mail or by mail. You can pick it up at the embassy as well. Please mention your preference when applying.

Receiving the declaration by mail

Send a DHL postage label to the embassy so they can send you the declaration. The postage costs are yours to pay.

Picking up the declaration at the embassy

You'll receive an email once your declaration is ready. You'll be able to pick up the declaration at the embassy without making an appointment.

How long does it take?

After receiving your proof of payment, it takes about 10 working days to process your request.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.