Legalisation of documents from Thailand for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Thailand - or an official copy of this document, in English - in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Thai authorities. Then you must also have your document legalised again by the Dutch embassy in Bangkok.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Thailand can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

At your request, the local district office in Thailand can issue the most common documents in English. You can request an official copy in English from any Amphur (district office). This does not need to be the same Amphur that originally issued the document.

If the birth, marriage or death took place a long time ago, the information may be missing from the system. If that is the case, you will need to apply to the Amphur that originally issued the document.

If your document is not in English you will need to have it translated. The following requirements apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • The translation must be in English.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised. The most common documents are:

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get a certified true copy of a birth certificate in English from an Amphur (district office).

Born after 1980

If you were born after 1980 you can also get this document from the Bureau of Registration Administration, Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) in Bangkok.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this document in English from an Amphur (district office). You will need 2 witnesses to swear that you are not married.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get this document in English from an Amphur (district office).

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document in English from an Amphur (district office).

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get this document in English from the Amphur (district office).

Where can you have your document legalised?

First have your official copy in English, or the original Thai document and its translation, legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or by one of the legalisation offices in Khlong Toei MRT Station (Bangkok), Songkhla, Chiang Mai or Ubon Ratchathani. Then have your document legalised again by the Dutch embassy in Bangkok.

Someone else can do this for you on your behalf. After these two legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How to make an appointment?

Make an appointment via the online appointment system to submit your documents at the embassy in Bangkok.

Collecting your document

  • You can collect your document 2 working days after you handed it in, between 13:30 and 15:00 Monday to Thursday. Please bring your receipt.
  • The document(s) can also be sent to your home address in Thailand. The postage costs are THB 60.00.

How much will it cost?

The fee for legalisation en payment method can be found  in the overview of consular fees in Thailand.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in Thailand.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.