Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Taiwan

Are you a Dutch national living in Taiwan? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Netherlands Office Taipei . You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Taiwan

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Taiwan.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Taiwan, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a photocopy of your visa or entry stamp in your passport;
  • a photocopy of your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC);
  • if you also hold the Taiwanese nationality: a valid Taiwanese passport or ID card.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Taiwan

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Taiwan first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Taiwan (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the Netherlands Office Taipei.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Taiwan.

Payments can only be made in cash, in New Taiwan dollars (TWD). 

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the trade office. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

Collect your document

You can collect your travel document from the Netherlands Office Taipei between 9.00 and 11.00 Monday to Wednesday. If you want to collect it on a different day or at a different time, please make an appointment by email. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post


You can also have your new passport sent to you. You should arrange this with the consular officer when you apply for your document.

ID card

Your new identity card will not be sent by post. You should collect it at the the Netherlands Office Taipei.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The trade office will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the Netherlands Offce Taipei.