Legalisation of documents from the Russian Federation for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from the Russian Federation in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Russian authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from the Russian Federation can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the civil status records office (ZAGS) that registered the birth, marriage, divorce or death.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this certificate from a civil-law notary recognized by the Russian Ministry of Justice or from the registry office (ZAGS).

Which documents do not need to be legalised?

Documents drawn up by diplomatic or consular officers do not need to be legalised for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. 

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Russian authorities. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

As of 1 September 2019, the Consular Service Center (CDC) will no longer be able to help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in the Russian Federation.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.