Legalisation of documents from Liberia for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Liberia in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Liberian authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Liberia can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can request these official copies from the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare in Monrovia.

  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

Ask the authorities in Liberia where you can get these documents.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Liberian authorities. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). Once your document has been legalised with an apostille, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Documents issued by the Liberian consulate in Oranjestad (Aruba) or Willemstad (Curaçao)

Documents issued by the Liberian consulate in Oranjestad or Willemstad must be legalised by the Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs  (DWJZ) in Oranjestad or the Foreign Relations Department (DBB) in Willemstad. Once your document has been legalised it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.