Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Hong Kong

Are you a Dutch national living in Hong Kong? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch consulate-general in Hong Kong. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Hong Kong

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Hong Kong.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Hong Kong, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a photocopy of your visa and supporting documents;
  • a photocopy of your residence permit;
  • if you also hold the Hongkong nationality: a valid Hongkong passport or ID card.

If you have a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, you must produce a Certificate of Registered Particulars (CRP) when applying for a passport or ID card. You can apply to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for a CRP. The CRP should give the following details:

  • the date of issue of your Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card;
  • your nationality, as registered with the Hong Kong Immigration Department;
  • the names of your parent or parents and their Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card numbers.

A CRP is not required if you can prove that you have held a Hong Kong residence/work visa.

A minor can prove legal stay by providing on of the following documents:

  • a local birth certificate with status "established";
  • a photo copy of the residence permit.

First-time application

If, according to your personal checklist (step 1), you need to get a document legalised, and if your birth certificate or marriage certificate was issued in Hong Kong, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Hong Kong

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Hong Kong, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Hong Kong (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the consulate-general in Hong Kong.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Hong Kong SAR.

The consulate-general in Hong Kong prefers electronic payments by Dutch bank cards or a credit card (Visa or Mastercard). If you don't have a Dutch bank card or credit card, you can pay cash, in Hong Kong dollars (HKD). In that case we request you pay the exact amount.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the consulate-general in Hong Kong:

  • between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday
  • between 14.00 and 16.00 Monday to Thursday

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The consulate-general will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the consulate-general in Hong Kong.