Legalisation of documents from Guyana for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use documents from Guyana in the Netherlands, you must have them legalised by the Guyanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Guyana can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the General Register Office, GPO Building, Robb Street, Georgetown.

Certificate of unmarried status

(no marriage affidavit or single status certificate)
You can have this document drawn up a lawyer, civil-law notary or Justice of the Peace.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the Supreme Court Registry, Avenue of the Republic, Georgetown.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the the Guyanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your legalised document is then ready for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) states where the apostille is issued.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Guyana.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.