Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Greece

Are you a Dutch national living in Greece? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Athens. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. Therefore, per passport or ID card first create a personal checklist for each application.  Then you’ll know what documents to bring.

Note: step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Greece

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Greece.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Greece, you can do this by providing:

  • a registration card for individuals who are registering for the first time (ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΙΚΗΣ ΕΝΩΣΗΣ/veveosi engrafis politi kratous melous tis evropaïkis enosis);
  • a registration card for people who have lived in Greece for longer than five years (ΕΓΓΡΑΦΟ ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΣΗΣ ΜΟΝΙΜΗΣ ΔΙΑΜΟNΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΙΚΗΣ ΕΝΩΣΗΣ/engrafo pistopiisis monimis diamonis politi kratous melous tis evropaïkis enosis);
  • if you also hold the Greek nationality: a valid Greek passport or ID card.

Birth certificate requirement when applying for a passport or ID card for a child (aged under 18)

If you are applying for a passport or ID card for a child, you must bring a complete official copy of the birth certificate or an extract from the register of births. The embassy in Athens will only accept a Ληξιαρχική Πράξη Γεννήσεως (lixiarchiki praxi genniseo).

First-time application: legalisation of documents

If, according to your personal checklist (step 1), you need to get a document legalised, and the multilingual extract of your birth certificate or marriage certificate was issued in Greece, legalisation is not necessary. You can use these documents directly to apply for a passport or ID card.

Do you have a document from another country? Then check whether it needs to be legalised.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Greece

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Greece, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Greece (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online  to visit the embassy in Athens.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Greece.
Payments can be made in cash, or by debit or credit card.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 to 4 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document at the Netherlands embassy, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can make an appointment  to visit the embassy in Athens by sending an email.

Have your document sent by post


You can also have your new passport sent to you by courier or by registered post. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself. 

ID card

Your new identity card will not be sent by post. You should collect it at the embassy in Athens.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Athens.