Legalisation of documents from Australia for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Australia in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Australia can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Dutch authorities will not accept certified true copies drawn up by a notary.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate
  • an official copy of a naturalisation certificate

You can request official copies of these documents from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which the birth, marriage or death took place. You can get an official copy of a death certificate in the state in which the deceased person lived.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get a single status certificate or letter of no record at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which you live or most recently lived.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the Family Court or Supreme Court where the divorce was granted.

Where can you have your document legalised?

For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.