If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).
In Ethiopia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Addis Ababa.
Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?
You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.
Applying for a residence permit and an MVV
You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:
- through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
- in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general.
If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.
What is your situation?
Applying through a host in the Netherlands
Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:
- a work placement
- co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
- family reunification
In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.
Your host can submit the application directly to the IND. How they need to do this depends on why you need a residence permit and/or an MVV, for example for work or study. The IND website has a list of the documents your host will need to provide. It also explains how your host can apply for your residence permit. If you have any questions about this, you can contact the IND.
The IND will send your host a letter confirming that the application has been approved. The letter also explains how you can apply for an MVV and what documents you need.
Apply for your MVV at the embassy or consulate-general within 3 months of your host receiving the letter. For an MVV for family reunification, you have to apply within 6 months.
Take the following documents to your appointment:
- The MVV issue form
- Your passport and a photocopy of the personal details page. Your passport must be valid for at least another 6 months and have at least 2 blank pages.
- If you live in a country of which you are not a national: your residence permit (or equivalent) and a photocopy of the permit
- A photo that meets Dutch requirements
- A copy of the letter stating that your application has been approved and what your alien registration number (V number) is
- All other documents listed in the letter from the IND and a photocopy of each of these documents
Your MVV will be ready for you to collect from the embassy or consulate-general within 10 working days.
You must travel to the Netherlands with the MVV in your passport. The IND will let your host know when your residence permit is ready. You can then make an appointment at the IND office to collect your permit.
Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate
For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:
- orientation year as a highly skilled migrant seeking employment
- independent entrepreneur
- starting entrepreneur (start-up)
- foreign investor
The IND will process your application within 90 days. If the IND’s decision is positive, you must hand over your passport at the embassy or consulate where you submitted the application. Your MVV will be placed in your passport within 10 working days.
You must travel to the Netherlands with the MVV in your passport. The IND will let you know when your residence permit is ready. You can then make an appointment at the IND office to collect your permit.
Long-stay visa for residents of Ethiopia
Regular MVV applications (with appointment)
For regular MVV applications you will need to make an make an appointment via our online appointment system.
What can I do if there are no appointments available?
Check the appointment system regularly to see if there are new time slots available. There may be cancellations opening up slots, and new appointments slots may be opened by the embassy.
MVV family reunification after asylum
For an MVV application (after approval by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service – IND), please make an appointment via our online appointment system.
For MVV family reunification applications, please make sure to bring the following documents:
- The MVV issue form (filled out and signed)
- A photo that meets Dutch requirements
- Scan/copy of the MVV approval
- The document you submitted to the IND to verify your identity (for example: birth certificate, ID card, travel document, baptism certificate, etc.)
- The full names, date of birth and v-number of the applicant(s)
- Correct and functioning phone number of the applicant(s)
- Email(s) and mobile phone number(s) of the referent/contact person in the Netherlands
Temporary travel document (Laissez-Passer)
If you do not have a passport and IND approved that you obtain a Laissez-Passer, you also need to bring:
After your application you will receive a collection slip for collecting your MVV. The collection day and time are mentioned on your slip. Please only show up on the day and time mentioned. Do not make an appointment.
The embassy will report the use of false and counterfeit documents to the Ethiopian authorities, depending on the forgery.
False and counterfeit documents will not be returned to the applicant.