Filing a tax return for the year you moved to the Netherlands

You can file a tax return for the year in which you moved to the Netherlands only by means of an M Form. For 2020 and the years thereafter, this can usually be done online. It is also possible to do this via a paper M-form.


Check with the tax authority in the country you are leaving what matters you have to settle there.

Each tax year has its own M Form. If you moved to the Netherlands in, say, 2019 you will need the 2019 M Form. M Forms are available in Dutch only.

Online M Form

For 2020 and the years thereafter, you can normally complete an online M Form via Mijn Belastingdienst (information in Dutch). You will need a DigiD or an EU-approved login key from another European country to do this. You can complete a paper M Form instead if you prefer. Please note: for the years before 2020 you must complete a paper M Form.

Tax Administration will send letter about M Form

You will receive a letter about the M Form at your home address in the Netherlands if your details are recorded correctly in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Applying for a paper M Form

Do you prefer to complete a paper M Form? Then you can request a paper M Form from the Tax Administration.

Via Belastingdienst

The Tax Administration will post an M Form to you within two weeks of receiving your request. If you have difficulty requesting an M Form online, contact the Non-residents TaxLine.

Returning a paper M Form

Sign the cover page and send it with the completed tax return pages and any financial statement pages to the Tax Administration. In the Netherlands you can use the return envelope.

Before you seal the envelope, check that:

  • your name and citizen service number are written at the top of each completed tax return page;
  • you have signed the form;
  • the address and barcode can be seen through the envelope’s window.

Tip: if you have difficulty completing the M Form, you may be able to get help (information in Dutch).

Providing additional information or amending your tax return

If you want to provide additional information or amend your tax return after you have filed it, request a new M Form, complete it in full and return it to the Tax Administration

Filing a tax return from the Netherlands

If you live in the Netherlands for an entire calendar year, you can also file a tax return in other ways.

Learn how to file a tax return in the Netherlands

Are you moving back to the Netherlands?

Find out what else you need to arrange when you move back to the Netherlands


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.